An image of The Malta Siege Bell Monument overlooking Valetta Harbour, one of Michael Sandle’s favourite pieces, features on the cover of this four page glossy folder. Within the folder you will find the full collection of six stamps and issue text written by the artist himself.
£10.37 inc. VAT
Product Code: ABE41
Enjoy this collection of six stamps presented in a quality glossy card folder. The stamps can be found within the folder, presented on a black mount so you can appreciate the work featured on each photographic stamp.
Inside the folder you will also uncover a wealth of information from Michael Sandle himself. Find out the behind the scenes stories and the work that has gone in to each piece, plus snippets of information into his process as an artist.
The work of Michael Sandle RA is timeless and you’ll agree that this collectable is too.
Limited edition of 1500
• The first stamp is a detail of the Lifeboat Men Memorial bronze relief in the sunken gardens on Loch Promenade, Douglas. Founder of the RNLI Sir William Hilary lived on the Isle of Man and built the Tower of Refuge in Douglas harbour having seen many ship wrecked on the Conister Rock. Michael’s sculpture captures the drama and sheer physical effort of the crewmen rowing out to rescue those on the stricken ship St George in 1830.
The Tower was built on the site of the wreck two years later.
• The Malta Siege Bell Monument overlooking Valetta Harbour is the subject of the second stamp and is the work Michael is most proud of having produced, being four years in the making and including the architectural design in addition to the sculptural elements. The work commemorates the ending of the siege of the island by German bombers during World War II.
• The legend of St George and the Dragon is made bronze in Michael’s work in Dorset Rise, Blackfriars in London which is the subject of the third stamp.
• The Seafarers Memorial, seen in front and back view, is sited on Albert Embankment in London and features on the fourth stamp. This enormous bronze forms an imposing and heroic entrance to The International Maritime Organisation.
• The fifth stamp in the set shows a detail from the centre of the work The Viking on the front façade of the Erin Arts Centre in Port Erin, Isle of Man in a nod to the Isle of Man’s ancient heritage. It incorporates the famous uniquely-Manx four-horned loaghtan sheep.
• Completing the set, Michael’s 20th Century War Memorial sculpture in bronze was four years in the making and is part of the Tate Gallery collection in London.
|Text||Michael Sandle RA|
|Photography||Simon Stringer, Ben Johnson, Howard Grey, Michael Sandle|
|Paper||110gm PVA gummed|
|Perforations||13 per 2cm|
|Stamp Size||52 x 40mm|
|Format||Sheets of 8|
|Date of Issue||8th March 2022|
Did you buy this product? Be the first to rate this product!