Your Guide to the 2021 Election Manifesto Mailing
Payment and Posting
Isle of Man Post Office (IOMPO) are pleased to advise that under the Representation of the People Act 1995 all candidates standing for General Election are entitled to claim postage costs relating to the distribution of “one postal communication relating to the election”, sent to each household with one or more elector in the constituency being contested.
- Postage, for one item only of election material, sent to each household with one or more registered voters will be met by the Treasury, providing the poll is contested. The funding per manifesto sent is limited to the minimum charge for a standard letter. Any additional mailings will be at your own expense.
- The minimum charge, which is 62p for a standard letter means enveloped manifestos for dispatch must weigh less than 100g, have a maximum size of 220mm x 155mm (C5 envelope) and be less than 5mm thick.
- Any items submitted over those limits will be held by the Post Office and candidates will be required to pay IOMPO in advance of the distribution of the manifestos.
These extra costs must be accounted for in a candidate’s election expenses.
Items Can be Posted Using Either:
- IOMPO’s Franking Service. For a charge of £30.00 for the first 500 items and £3.00 per 100 items or part of thereafter (payable in advance by the candidate) all mail items are franked and dispatched. Upon completion of the application form in the Manifesto Mailings Information Leaflet, the Isle of Man Post Office will reclaim the postage charges from the Treasury on your behalf.
- Stamps affixed by the candidate. Upon completion of the application form found in the Manifesto Mailings Information Leaflet, we can supply the necessary amount of postage stamps for your manifesto mailing.
Please contact us in advance to ensure sufficient stamps are available for collection at the Post Office of your choice.
Posting of Manifestos
- Arrangements for the posting of manifestos should be made through Isle of Man Post Office. Please see the contact details at the bottom of the page.
- Manifesto items will be delivered along with daily post items Monday - Friday..
- In accordance with section 37 of the Representation of the People Act 1995, printer’s and publisher’s names and addresses must appear on the face of all pieces of candidates’ mailings.
Addressing Manifesto Mailings
- Having declared an intention to stand for the 2021 General Election, you can obtain an address list of all electors in your constituency. You need to supply the General Registry (01624 687505) with a completed application form and proof of your public declaration (copy of press release or copy of the news website).
- The address list will be provided either on disc (password protected) or on paper. It can be personally collected or posted to you.
- Due to expected high volumes of manifestos, we recommend contacting us in the early stages of your manifesto preparations and well in advance of your planned dispatch date. This is in order for us to plan our resources effectively and work with you to ensure the timely delivery of your manifestos.
- Manifesto mailings must be addressed to each household with one or more registered voters.
For more information and for a copy of the forms to complete, please download the Manifesto Mailing Information Leaflet below or contact Aaron Craine on 01624 698455 or click here to email him.